Tuesday 4 July 2017

Sunny Dorset

Britney (not her real name) has knickers with the days of the week emblazoned on the front of them.
Why on earth don’t they don’t make these pants in adult sizes? Can you imagine how useful they would be for those of us who rush from pillar to post never knowing for certain what day it is? They would also be so very useful when it came to leaving a telephone message:
 “Hi there, I was meant to get a kerosene delivery, erm (a quick check down the front of your jeans) yesterday and I’m just worried that I’m going to run out.”
Or:
“Hi, it’s, erm (a quick check down the front of your jeans) Thursday, can I get someone to come and service my boiler please?”
Or:
“Hi there, it’s erm (a quick check down the front of your jeans) Friday, could you call me when you get this message? Thanks.”
I appreciate that it could be a little embarrassing if you were in the middle of a meeting and had to pretend to study the wall for a second to check what was written on the front of your knickers, but it would be so much more professional than writing TUESDAY on the back of your hand in biro pen.
It’s particularly difficult to know what day of the week it is when you are self employed.
I usually hinder The Assassinator and The Resident Vet (Kamikaze Girl having gained employment and thus moved to London – the bitch) with their horses on a Thursday but occasionally Office work will get in the way of this arrangement and I have to ride their horses on a different day of the week. This causes immense confusion, not just to myself and The Resident Vet who co-ordinates the entire operation, but also to my household and all of my Childcare operatives as well.
It’s hard to be organised when you are never sure where you are meant to be and this is perhaps the reason why I went on holiday to Dorset with Other Half and Britney and failed to pack any shorts or suncream.
Clearly my Mummy brain had not considered that a County 400 miles south of Northumberland might be a tad warmer than the windswept Cheviot Hills or the bitterly cold sandy beaches of Northumberland’s area of outstanding natural beauty. And as a result of my lack of planning, I still have a dark brown area on my left leg where I failed to apply Britney’s factor 50 suncream while sitting on the beach at Sandbanks.
Aside from this third degree burn on my lower leg and the enormous inflammation that cosseted my ankle, we had a fabulous week in sunny Dorset. By some coincidence our holiday managed to correspond with the remarkable heat wave that had engulfed Britain and therefore Dorset was enjoying temperatures which where similar to that of the southern coast of Spain.
We stayed in a proper chocolate box kind of house with a thatched roof and 3 foot thick walls, which kept the downstairs of the property extremely cool and the upstairs; as warm as your oven after roasting a chicken.
The cottage was on a small holding near to a place called Three Legged Cross and very much in the countryside. We had our own private patio and also (much to Britney’s delight) an outside bath. I’ll just point out that this was a factor of novelty, as there was also an enormous bath inside the property in the bathroom at the top of the stairs.
Britney revelled in using all of the available hot water in her twice daily outside bathing ritual. I had shown her photographs of the house before we set off on holiday and when I asked if there was anything particular that she wanted to take in her suitcase for our week away, she replied “Bath bombs” before adding as an afterthought: “2 for every day we are there”.
The owner of the holiday cottage had a small herd of Alpacas and every morning, usually only clad in her pyjama bottoms, Britney sleepily tottered across to the field to greet them as they congregated to have their breakfast. It took 3 days for her to remember that they were Alpacas and not Lamas, but they didn’t seem to mind.
I had been to Dorset a few times before we undertook this excursion down south and I have informed people on many occasions that Poole Harbour is only 70 miles from Cherbourg and that the sun is so much hotter down there and the winds are always very warm.
Clearly, having a child has made me either entirely lose my memory, or perhaps my brain simply couldn’t be bothered to travel further South than Northampton because I ignorantly sunburnt my arms on the first morning of our holiday sitting on the patio reading my book while everyone else was still in bed.
There was a pair of Bullfinches that came to the patio everyday to forage in the Forget Me knots and I adored seeing them. I have obviously reached middle age as I now love seeing the less common wild birds, especially when these are something of a rarity in my garden in Northumberland.
Staying in self catering accommodation made me realise that the people of Dorset use a lot of butter and I put this down to why our picnic sandwiches always tasted so good. Butter in Dorset spreads like margarine. Butter in Northumberland spreads like Tungsten. At home, after I’ve torn a great big hole in my slice of bread with a lump of solid butter, I give up and resort to the spreadable variety. The Aigle Welly Wearer says that you can tell what season it is in Northumberland by how near the butter dish is to the open fire. In the dizzy summer months the butter dish might actually be in the kitchen, but in January it will be in pride of place on the mantelpiece. This keeps the butter pliable enough so that you can actually scratch some butter from the block with a knife and not have to resort to using a cheese grater to make yourself a sandwich.
The People of Dorset also wear shorts all of the time. And they look normal. It’s not like that up here, people either wear shorts all of the time, even in November or they wear them once a year. The male once-a-year short wearers have legs that are as white as a hospital sheet and the female once-a-year short wearers have legs that are as orange as a 1970’s Spacehopper.
The coast in Dorset was a bit of a shock for Britney as she assumes that if you are going to where the sea meets the land, the joining strip between the 2 will be made of golden sand.
For fossil hunting, there are crumbling cliffs and a variety of stones that are very painful when aligned with bare feet. By contrast the sandy beaches of Bournemouth and Sandbanks have beautiful golden sand which is so hot you can’t walk on it with bare feet. We spent an afternoon happily roasting on the raked sand at Sandbanks and it was beautiful. The sea is shallow there and Britney and Other Half swam in the water that was many degrees warmer than the North Sea.
It took us 9 and a half hours to drive home and initially after getting out of the car and especially after the 31 degree heat of the roadworks on the M1, I was pleased to be home. Then as we drank Shiraz with our House Sitter, the Scottish Moose, we complained how damn cold it was up north.
The night after we returned from Dorset, I was sitting in our conservatory and 3 Bullfinches flew down from the hedge in the paddock and began rummaging through the gravel on the drive. I couldn’t believe it and I took it as a sign that Dorset was missing me too.
Sadly, I haven’t seen them since.


SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

Blogger Template Created by pipdig